Many ghazals and thumris are based on Khamaj. It utilizes the shuddha (pure) form of Ni on the ascent, and the komala (flat) form of Ni on the descent, creating a key asymmetry in compositional and improvisational performance.
Aroha (ascending structure)-S G M P D N S' Avroha-S'n D P M G R S
Hindi Film Songs based on Raga Khamaj :
- Bada natkhat hai...ka kare yashoda maiya – Amar Prem
- Ayo kahanse ghanashyam – Buddha Mil Gaya
- Vo na aenge palatkar – Devdaas
- A dilse dil mila le – Navrang
- Dhal chuki shame Gam – Kohinoor
- Khat likha de savariyake nam babu
- Mere to giridharagopala – Meera
- Tere bina sajna lage na jiya hamar – Aarti
- Tere mere milan ki raina - Abhimaan.